How To Make Your Job Application Stand Out
Your potential employer will probably have a good number of applications to sift through, so how do you make your job application stand out? These top tips will help your application to stand out from the crowd.
Keep your application relevant
Emphasise the skills and experience that specifically apply to the job. For instance, if the job requires you to take minutes, describe times when you have had to do this in previous roles.
Do your research
Read as much about the company you are applying for as you can. In your application use the information you have learnt about the company to explain why you think you would be a good fit.
Use real examples
Think of times where you have carried out the requirements on the job description and use these when answering application questions.
Take your time
Avoid leaving your application to the last minute and give yourself if possible, to be able to answer the questions to a high standard.
Use the STAR technique
When giving examples of work you have carried out, remember the following:
S – Situation – What was the occasion?
T – Task – What were you asked to do?
A – Action – What did you do?
R – Result – What was the outcome?
- Make sure you sell yourself! Don’t downplay your strengths and make sure you mention the good things you have done and how these skills meet the essential job criteria.
- Check, re-check and check again! Make sure to check your application for any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. Proofread it at least a couple of times before submitting it.
- Use an appropriate email address: Make sure your email address doesn’t have a negative reflection on you. Addresses such as email@example.com are not appropriate!
- Be very familiar with the job description: Use this as your guidebook and be sure that you have a good example of each competency listed.
- Be honest! Honesty is always the best policy when it comes to job applications. Don’t say you have expert or advanced knowledge of something you can’t follow up.
Apply with Devon Jobs
Are you ready for your next challenge or looking for a new career? Take a look at our job posts and find an array of jobs, including teaching, social care, health care and many more.
- Published On