- DEVON COUNTY COUNCIL
- School Posts
- Work Location
- John Nash Drive, Dawlish, Devon EX7 9SF
- Pupils on Roll
- Occupational group
- Teaching - Special & Other
- Salary details
- MPS (depending on experience) plus SEN 2
- Job term
- Fixed Term
- Appointment type
- Full Time
- Closing Date
- 02 October 2019
Orchard Manor School is a very successful and highly regarded residential school catering for 170 students aged 3 - 19 years with Autism, communication, interaction, learning, social development and complex needs. Our standards in both education and care are very high and we offer a structured and supportive environment to all our students and staff.
With both day and residential places, we are committed to keeping every child at the centre of everything we do and to build a centre of excellence in SEN provision. The school is on the outskirts of the beautiful coastal town of Dawlish, Devon and within a short drive of the cathedral city of Exeter.
We are seeking to appoint an excellent practitioner on a fixed term until 31st August 2020. You will be required have a sound knowledge of the primary curriculum.
If you are: a talented teacher; a creative thinker; a team player; student centred; and relate well to challenging students, we would like to hear from you. You are welcome to contact Rowena Schofield, Assistant Principal on 01626 862363, to find out more about this exciting and rewarding opportunity. Informal visits are encouraged by appointment only.
- Be a qualified teacher with the ability to inspire young people with SEN.
- Be passionate about helping students who can sometimes find school life challenging.
- Be flexible, positive and have a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Be an excellent teacher with a successful track record of impacting positively upon student progress;
- Be a highly motivated and enthusiastic person with good interpersonal skills and ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Main Responsibilities of the Role
- To implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced and relevant differentiated curriculum as appropriate to the needs of the learners, with a focus on academic achievements and developing life and social skills.
- To teach highly effective lessons, support students and monitor student’s progress in order to develop pupil achievements, develop life skills and prepare them for adulthood.
- To develop their own practice and work to the ‘Teachers’ standards’ DfE, alongside an ongoing drive to reinforce the vision and values of the school including the understanding of pupils needs through the EHCP’s.
Teaching and Learning
- Provide a high- quality learning experience for students.
- To ensure lessons are well resourced within the constraints of the budget.
- To plan differentiated lessons, which provide for the variety of special needs within the class.
- To plan and oversee the effective deployment of teacher assistants within the class.
- To be confident to teach across the range of subjects in the Primary and Early Years curriculum.
- To maintain and update student assessments in line with school policies and practice.
- To provide data in line with the QA and accountability matrix.
- To produce reports for students taught.
- To assist in the development of appropriate schemes of work.
- To assist in the ongoing development of the curriculum.
Staff Development and Quality Assurance
- To engage in the school’s professional development through engaging with the QA and Accountability Matrix.
- To actively engage in the school’s appraisal process.
- To maintain an up-to-date and relevant knowledge of SEND.
- To communicate effectively with parents on a regular basis including formal and informal events.
- To communicate with external agencies.
- To ensure the safeguarding of students as a priority, at all times following the school’s Safeguarding policies and practice.
- To ensure practice is in line with school’s Health and Safety policy.
- To undertake risk assessment of activities.
The above duties are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake tasks, roles and responsibilities as may be reasonably assigned to them by the Senior Leadership Team.
This job description will be kept under review and may be amended via consultation with the individual, Governing Body and/or Senior Leadership Team as required.
To be performed in accordance with the provisions of the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document and within the range of teachers’ duties set out in that document.
This post is temporary pending a review of the school staffing structure.
A full induction programme and opportunities for professional development will be provided.
Please ensure you read and understand our Privacy Notice, which is attached with this pack, before applying.
To apply, please see the Related Information section on this web page or alternatively, can also be found on our school website https://www.orchardmanor.devon.sch.uk/. Applicants are advised that submitting an incorrect or insufficiently completed application form will result in non-selection for interview. Particular attention should be made to career history since secondary education and referees meeting the required criteria.
Your completed application form should be returned to .firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply by 9am on the closing date.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This role requires a DBS disclosure.
This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.