Like a challenge? We are in a very busy period of new housebuilding and need two experienced highway engineers to help us in our work with developers building new estate roads in the Teignbridge, West Devon and South Hams areas. These include large schemes including South West Exeter and Sherford.
The main purpose of the job is to appraise approved planning drawings and to inspect the construction of highways for future adoption by Devon County Council under sections 38, 228, 278 of the Highways Act and section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act. This is to ensure that they are acceptable for adoption and future maintenance as public highways. The job holder should consider how the future maintenance expenditure of Devon County Council could be minimised, and how the interests of future occupiers of new residential and commercial estates and other highway improvements could be protected.
The post is largely site based and will involve liaison with consultants, developers and contractors both off and on site to achieve the above aims. This will involve negotiation to ensure roads are built to the agreed and/or adoptable standards, so you will need to be confident and be happy working on your own and in challenging situations where you need to deliver a firm message.
What we are looking for:
The successful applicant will have a good knowledge of highway construction along with an understanding of Chapter 8 Legislation and the New Roads and Street Works Act and a basic understanding of the planning system. Good communication skills will be necessary in both written and verbal to ensure correct /desired outcomes of discussions and negotiations.
You’ll also need:
- Ability to use Microsoft applications
- Experience of supervising staff
- Ability to adapt to specialist software such as MasterGov
- A flexible and progressive approach
- Ability to work under pressure
What we can offer you:
This is a great opportunity to grow your career with an ambitious and supportive Local Authority.
In recognition of the vital contribution you make, we offer an attractive package of benefits including:
- A supportive and progressive management team
- Access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme to support you to balance the demands of everyday life – available 24/7
- Flexible working opportunities, (subject to the needs of the role – please discuss at interview)
- Excellent Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Devon Discounts Scheme
Closing date: 2nd September 2022
Interviews: 9th September 2022
If you would like to know more about this exciting opportunity, please contact either Matthew Beddow on 01392 381991 or Brian Hensley on 01392 383440.
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationExeterDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupHighways, Transport & Traffic
- Salary Details
£29,174 - £32,798 per annum (pending the 2022/23 pay award)
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required