St Andrews Primary School is a member of Ventrus, a group of Devon schools who actively collaborate to improve children's outcomes. As a Trust, we offer excellent career and development opportunities.
This position is required from September 2022. This post attracts a SENDCo allowance of £2,270 per annum, to be pro rata’d as per FTE.
We are looking for a skilled SENDCo who is an excellent classroom practitioner and is able to demonstrate high levels of effectiveness in the classroom. They need to have strong organisational, leadership and communication skills, and should be able to offer advice, support and motivation to children, staff, parents and the wider community. They will lead and manage the school’s provision of SEND within a busy school. They need to demonstrate their ability to deliver the best possible outcomes for all learners, provide evidence of successful multi agency working and will preferably already hold, or be working towards, the National Professional SENDCo Qualification.
The role will also be to assist in provision for pupils’ wellbeing and provide support for pupils displaying social, emotional and behavioural needs by working in partnership with staff, families/carers, professionals and pupils in a school context. Monitoring, support for pupils and staff and working with families to support school pupils’ behaviour and wellbeing is fundamental in this role.
The SENDCo works under the direction of the Headteacher whilst being expected to work under less direct supervision and independently manage behaviour incidents, plan and deliver activities and work with families, staff and external agencies. Line management of our Parent Support Advisor and Pupils Pastoral Worker is a key element of the role.
Essential Educational Requirements:
- The successful candidate will need to inspire and motivate children and staff and be able to form positive professional relationships with all stakeholders;
- They will need to be a skilful communicator and be able to manage tricky situations to achieve the best outcomes;
- They must use own excellent practice to improve others’ inclusive teaching and be able to use monitoring to lead improvement in provision for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities;
- They will have a commitment to seeking out and sharing the best methods to help the individual and to removing any barriers which might lead to underachievement;
- They have the ability to set appropriate learning targets and to support staff in developing teaching strategies to enable these to be met by the child;
- They will need to be efficient and organised and have a commitment to safeguarding, equal opportunities, inclusion, diversity, health & safety and access for all and promoting the welfare of all of our children.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Qualified teacher status;
- Knowledge of standards expected in each year group;
- Knowledge of the effectiveness of different intervention strategies that will meet individual needs;
- Able to use different strategies to maintain good behaviour across the school;
- Evidence of leading whole school improvement initiatives;
- Ability to interpret and act on data;
- Extensive good/outstanding teaching in a primary school;
- Experience of working with staff in a medium or large primary school;
- Experience of safeguarding procedures (level 3 certificate);
- Extensive knowledge and application of the SEND Code of Practice.
Although not class-based, this post does require the SENDCo to work alongside children. Our SENDCo is a key member of our Senior Leadership Team.
The successful applicant will work as part of the Ventrus SEND Best Practice Network. If you would like to join a friendly and supportive team, and work with children who are well motivated and want to learn, then we would like to hear from you if you would like to discuss this post.
Ventrus Multi Academy Trust require all applicants to be eligible to work in the UK with no restrictions, as we are unable to offer sponsorship/work visas. You will be required to provide proof of Right to Work at interview stage.
To apply for this role, please submit your application online via https://ventrus.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/2665764.
Please apply by noon on the closing date.
Interview Date: 26 May 2022
- OrganisationOther Organisations
- Work LocationMid DevonDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupTeaching - Primary & Early YearsTeaching - Special & Other
- Salary Details
MPS - UPS £25,714 - £41,604 FTE (paid pro rata to reflect hours and weeks worked)
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
1.0 FTE, 39 weeks per annum
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required