- DEVON COUNTY COUNCIL
- Digital Transformation & Business Support
- Work Location
- County Hall, Exeter, Devon EX2 4QD
- Occupational group
- Salary details
- From: £37,890 To: £41,881
- Job term
- Appointment type
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- 06 December 2020
- Interview date
- 17th December 2020 (remote interview)
- For an informal discussion please contact
- Caroline Taverner on 01392 384980
Access to Information Manager
This exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced manager to lead a small, busy team responding to requests for information made to the Council under the Data Protection Act, Environmental Information Regulations and Freedom of Information Act.
Devon is a modern, vibrant place to work offering a range of staff benefits, including:
- flexible working opportunities,
- local government pension scheme,
- employee assistance programme, and
- competitive pay.
You can find out more about working for Devon in our Working for Devon page.
About the role
The Access to Information team handles all requests for information received by Devon County Council under the Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations, as well as requests from the Police and Crown Prosecution Service. Key aspects of the Access to Information Manager’s role include:
- Responding to complaints and conducting internal reviews where members of the public are dissatisfied with Devon County Council’s responses to information requests, ensuring that the authority learns from mistakes and provides an excellent customer service
- Identifying and implementing improvements to the Council’s processes to reduce the burden of managing and handling information requests, and optimising use of digital solutions
- Providing day-to-day line management of the Council’s Access to Information Officers and Access to Information Assistant, including quality assurance and performance monitoring and reporting
- Keeping up to date with evolving legislation, Codes of Practice, national and international standards and government agendas in relation to the management of information requests.
- Providing specialist advice and guidance to the Council on matters relating to its statutory obligations (full training can be provided)
- You will be an experienced manager with proven experience of developing and supporting staff to maximise performance
- You will have or be willing to learn specialist knowledge and experience in a role primarily responsible for data protection, records management, freedom of information, subject access requests and environmental information requests with detailed working knowledge of the codes of practice and legislation associated with these requests.
- You will have excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and be competent in presenting information in a complex subject to staff at all levels
- You will be experienced in change management, able to identify opportunities for improvement, develop strong business cases, plan and implement changes.
- You will be able to think strategically and to identify opportunities for systems and solutions which contribute to our strategic objectives
- You will enjoy working in a busy, challenging environment with conflicting demands and be able to make clear decisions to organise and prioritise workloads for yourself and your team
Previous applicants need not apply.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This role requires a DBS disclosure.
This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.