- DISTRICT COUNCILS
- TEIGNBRIDGE DISTRICT COUNCIL
- Work Location
- based at Newton Abbot
- Occupational group
- Housing & Planning
- Salary details
- £30,756 - £34,106
- Job term
- Appointment type
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- 18 September 2019
- Interview date
- 26 September 2019
Our Vision: Making Teignbridge a healthy and desirable place where people want to live, work and visit.
Our Values: Communicative, Respected, Purposeful Conscientious.
What it's like to work here: With its diverse mix of coast, countryside, seaside resorts, market towns, villages and moorland, Teignbridge is a great place to work and live.
For this role: You will be based at Teignbridge District Council – Forde House, Newton Abbot. It is essential that you have the ability to travel according to the needs of the job, with reasonable adjustments, if required, according to the Equality Act.
What you'll be doing: We have an exciting opportunity for a housing professional to join our busy, customer facing team in the Housing Department. You will be enforcing, maintaining and improving housing standards on behalf of Teignbridge District Council.
In this role you will be providing a diverse range of services including;
- Interpreting and enforcing housing legislation primarily in the private rented sector through both reactive and proactive work, including licensing Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).
- Carrying out Health and Hazard Safety Rating System assessments and determining the most appropriate course of action. Preparing and serving notices as appropriate and preparing evidence for and attending the Residential Property Tribunal, court and public enquiries.
- Working with and advising other departments within Teignbridge District Council and partners on housing matters.
- Providing assistance through grants and loans to adapt or improve houses within the private sector, including drawing up technical specifications, schedules of work and assessing costs submitted.
- Supervising staff in the day to day operations in the delivery of housing enforcement and grants and loans.
Who we're looking for:
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Degree in Environmental health or a degree in a relevant qualification with experience working in the housing field or a level 4 housing qualification with experience of working in the housing field.
- Relevant experience working within a housing/environmental health department within a local authority department or within the building or construction industry
Also be able to demonstrate you have:
- An understanding and ability to carry out Housing health and safety rating system assessments.
- The Ability to apply enforcement procedures and court attendance
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of building construction
- Specialist knowledge in housing legislation in particular housing enforcement legislation and grants and financial assistance legislation.
- An ability to listen, understand, assess and resolve problems.
- Supervisory experience of managing staff
We value our staff and offer an excellent working environment, employee rewards and benefits include;
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Generous annual leave
- Family friendly leave, pay and working arrangements
- Childcare Vouchers
- Discounted gym membership at Teignbridge District Council Leisure Centres
- Cycle Scheme
- Career development through professional learning and development
As an Investors in People Gold Award holder and a Disability Confident Employer, we value diversity and celebrate individuality across our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunities in employment and service provision and are only interested in your ability to do the job.
DBS Checks -Teignbridge District Council complies fully with the DBS code of practice and undertakes to treat all applicants for positions fairly. If a position is included in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order, the Council uses criminal record checks processed through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to assess and individual’s suitability for the post. *A criminal record check is identified as necessary for this position and an application for a DBS certificate will be required if you are offered the position.
Data protection -The organisation processes information about an individual's criminal convictions in accordance with its data protection policy / policy on processing special categories of personal data. In particular, data collected during recruitment is held securely and accessed by, and disclosed to, individuals only for the purposes of completing the recruitment process as per the General Data Protection Regulation.
The organisation is also committed to going through the proper DBS channels to establish whether or not an individual has a criminal record. The organisation will not require job applicants or existing employees to use their subject access rights under data protection provisions to provide criminal record details.
All information is processed in line with the General Data Protection Regulation.
Safeguarding Commitment -Teignbridge District Council will comply with its legal obligations in relation to recruiting people to work with children/vulnerable adults.
Please read the full Job Description and Person Specification to inform your application and supporting statement.
For an informal discussion please contact Alison Dolley on 01626 215418.