- DISTRICT COUNCILS
- TEIGNBRIDGE DISTRICT COUNCIL
- Work Location
- Occupational group
- Apprenticeships/Training Programmes/Courses
- Salary details
- £10,491 - £18,570 (dependent on age)
- Job term
- Fixed Term
- Appointment type
- Full Time
- 2-year fixed term contract, 37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- 08 September 2019
- Interview date
- 16 September 2019
Our Vision: Making Teignbridge a healthy and desirable place where people want to live, work and visit.
Our Values: Communicative, Respected, Purposeful Conscientious.
What it's like to work here: With its diverse mix of coast, countryside, seaside resorts, market towns, villages and moorland, Teignbridge, along with South Hams and West Devon is a great place to work and live.
For this role: You will be based, at least initially, at Teignbridge District Council at Forde House in Newton Abbot, with some travel to other sites.
Devon Building Control Partnership is based at Teignbridge District Council and includes South Hams and West Devon Councils.
What you'll be doing: We have an exciting opportunity for an apprentice to join Devon Building Control Partnership, based at Teignbridge District Council. You will be office based whilst travelling with colleagues to visit building sites and properties within the geographical areas of the councils covered in the partnership, developing skills that could prepare you for a career as a Building Control Surveyor.
Building Control Surveyors ensure that Building Regulations and other legislative requirements are followed when buildings are designed and constructed. To ensure high standards in health, safety, sustainability, energy conservation and access requirements.
You will attend college one day per week to complete a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Construction (Technical) made up of the following components:
- BTEC Level 3 in Construction in the Built Environment;
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Construction Contracting Operations;
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities;
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills;
- Functional Skills in English and Maths (if applicable).
This role contributes to: A Roof over our Heads, one of the Teignbridge Ten super projects (part of our ten year strategy 2016 - 2025).
Who we're looking for: To be successful in this role, you will need:
- GCSE or equivalent in Maths, Science and English at Grade C or above, along with good literacy and numeracy skills;
- To be competent in the use of the Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Powerpoint and Excel;
- The ability to navigate uneven or challenging construction terrain, including working at heights.
You should be able to demonstrate:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Time management skills, including appropriate prioritisation of own workload according to day-to-day team and departmental pressures;
- Attention to detail;
- A willingness to learn and continually develop.
We value our staff and offer an excellent working environment, employee rewards and benefits include:
- Local Government Pension Scheme;
- Generous annual leave;
- Family friendly leave, pay and working arrangements;
- Childcare Vouchers;
- Discounted gym membership at Teignbridge District Council Leisure Centres;
- Cycle Scheme;
- Career development through professional learning and development.
As an Investors in People Silver Award holder and a Disability Confident Employer, we value diversity and celebrate individuality across our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunities in employment and service provision and are only interested in your ability to do the job.
For an informal discussion, please contact Andrew Carpenter, David Bealing or Scott Adams on 01626 215793.
Data Protection - The organisation processes information about an individual's criminal convictions in accordance with its data protection policy / policy on processing special categories of personal data. In particular, data collected during recruitment is held securely and accessed by, and disclosed to, individuals only for the purposes of completing the recruitment process as per the General Data Protection Regulation.
The organisation is also committed to going through the proper DBS channels to establish whether or not an individual has a criminal record. The organisation will not require job applicants or existing employees to use their subject access rights under data protection provisions to provide criminal record details.
All information is processed in line with the General Data Protection Regulation.
Safeguarding Commitment - Teignbridge District Council will comply with its legal obligations in relation to recruiting people to work with children/vulnerable adults.
Important, please also read the Job Description and Person Specification to inform your application and supporting statement.