How to apply
Find out how to apply for a position by reading the advert first.
If you can apply online the application documents are made available to you on the right hand side of your screen and an apply online button appears in the advert. If an apply online button is not available, request an application pack as detailed in the advert as soon as possible. Remember, this is your first contact with your prospective employer so be polite and clear about which job you are applying for.
Give yourself time to prepare, plan, check and submit your application. It is your opportunity to show why you think you are the best person for the job and it is how you will be assessed for shortlisting for an interview.
The job description gives you more detailed information about the position. It will list the main purpose of the job together with the main responsibilities.
The person specification details the experience, education, knowledge, skills and type of person we are looking for. It also becomes the main part of the application form if you apply online.
Read both documents and any additional information supplied. Make a note of the location, the hours and any other requirements in the advert.
Do some research on the employer and ask yourself
- Do I have a realistic idea of what the job involves?
- How does my education, work and life experience meet each criteria?
- Can I submit this by the closing date?
- Could I do the job/fit into the organisation?
- Do I have examples I can use to show this?
Plan and check
Print or copy the person specification. Think of how examples from your work, education and life experience demonstrate that you meet each criteria on the person specification
- Use positive, professional language
- Check your spelling and grammar
- Write clearly and concisely
- Be specific, consider showing how, where, when, and how often you meet the criteria.
- Using different examples for each criteria shows a broader experience
- Ensure all sections have been fully completed
- Check your references will be available if required and contact details have not altered
- Print and proof read your application before submission.
Register or sign into your account if you are already registered
Fully complete your profile or, if already completed, check it for necessary updates before clicking the “apply online” button on the job advert (if you start an application and then edit your profile, the changes will only appear on subsequent applications).
- The online application form will give you detail boxes that you can copy and paste your answers into under each criteria.
- Submit before 23:59 on the closing date
- Check the form has submitted correctly by visiting your account
Applying by paper form (only available if confirmed by the employer)
When writing your application form:
- Write clearly and neatly in black ink – your form will need to be scanned
- Use the supporting information box and separate sheets of paper if required, to cross reference your answers with the person specification
- Follow the instructions for submitting your application
- Allow extra time to ensure receipt of the application before the closing date
Applicants who conceal or misrepresent relevant information at any stage will be disqualified from appointment or, if appointed, may be dismissed without notice.
You can contact the Recruitment Team on 01392 383000 or email email@example.com and one of our advisers will be happy to assist.